Reduction Linocut Printmaking.
2 Days. £175.
Sat 30 Sept & Sun 1 Oct 2023
* if you prefer, you may contact me to book a place via the contacts page
During this 2 day workshop you will learn how to make a two coloured linocut using the reduction method.
The reduction method involves one plate that is cut away and printed repeatedly to achieve the number of layers that are required (as opposed to using one plate for each colour).
- Discuss the strengths and limitations of designing for a linocut, the different methods of making linocuts and look at examples.
- Learn how to safely use the different linocut tools and which tools are used for which use.
- Cut a small sample linocut to explore the range of marks that can be made.
- Inking up methods will then be demonstrated and explained as well as how to use a press and how to print by hand.
- Select a design from a range of designs that will be available so that during this workshop you can concentrate on learning the technique and can then apply it to your own designs at home.
- Transfer your chosen design onto the lino. You will then cut the design and be shown how to use a registration board to register paper and plate in order to achieve accurate multiple overprinting.
- Learn about colour mixing and print a series of first colour prints.
- Talk about the printing that has been done on the previous day and talk over the next stage.
- This will involve some more cutting from the lino of the previous day, mixing colours and printing a second colour. Depending on time and inclination it may be possible to cut and print a third colour. We will then gather our prints together to enjoy and discuss what has been made!
4.00 Finishing up.
Refreshments. Lunch (homemade soup, bread, cheeses, fruit) and tea, coffee and homemade cake are all included. Please let me know if there are foods that you need to avoid.
Accommodation - please contact me for information about places to stay in the area.
Course materials. All materials are included.
What to bring. Wear old clothes. Apron